The Great Britain-China Centre (GBCC) and the All Party Parliamentary China Group (APPCG) are jointly seeking a Project Manager, based in London. This is a full time position with 50% of the time spent at GBCC and 50% at the APPCG. The key responsibilities of this role include developing and managing initiatives that support political and economic dialogues between China and the UK, organising events and visits in China and the UK, initiating and managing corporate relations, and taking on some office administration, including website updating.
GBCC is a non-departmental public body answerable to Parliament and operating under the supervision of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. It promotes understanding and dialogue between Britain and China, initiating and managing projects on a range of issues associated with rule of law, good governance and economic reform, working with a range of official and non-governmental organisations in China, the UK and Europe.
The All Party Parliamentary China Group was established in 1997 by MPs and Peers to widen the parliamentary contribution to the general UK-China bilateral relationship. It exists as a platform for discussions on all issues of importance to the bilateral relationship and welcome ideas to enhance this. The APPCG is one of the most active all party groups in Parliament and delivers an ambitious programme of events.
Specific duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
At GBCC, the Project Manager will
- Support bilateral UK-China dialogue events; such an the UK-China Leadership Forum and the Young Leaders Roundtable;
- Assist with new business developments;
- Liaise with British and Chinese government partners and agencies;
- Support the work of the Deputy Director and Executive Director, as required.
At the APPCG, the Project Manager will act as the Coordinator of the Group, and will manage all aspects of the group’s work including
- Put together a busy meeting and events programme;
- Organise visits overseas for selected Parliamentarians (usually three times a year);
- Manage relationships with sponsors;
- Handle the accounts;
- Engage closely with Anglo-Chinese organisations, China’s National People’s Congress, the Chinese Embassy in London and the wider Chinese community in the UK.
Essential qualifications and skills:
- A university degree in a relevant subject (Chinese studies, Politics, international relations)
- Bilingual or adequate fluency in both Mandarin Chinese and English
- Experience of working in, or with, China
- Proven project management and budget management experience
- Excellent analytical, communication and negotiation skills
- Proven cross-cultural teamwork capability
- Willingness to travel to China on a regular basis
- Ability to be flexible and work effectively in two offices and whilst travelling
- Integrity and high ethical standards
- Experience working with public relations, corporate sponsorship and/or events management will be an added asset.
The role will report to the Deputy Director of the GBCC and the Chairman of the APPCG. The GBCC is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications irrespective of gender, ethnicity or disability. All applications will be treated on merit. The successful candidate will join GBCC’s pension scheme.
Candidates must already have permission to work in the UK. Upon appointment the successful candidate will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO).
How to apply
Please email a copy of your CV together with a letter stating how your experience and abilities qualify you for the post to firstname.lastname@example.org, marked with “Project Manager Job Application”.
Salary range: £25,000 to £30,000 per annum depending on experience.
Closing date: Monday, January 8 2018
More details are available here.