About Young China Watchers (YCW) New York
YCW is a dynamic community of China-focused young professionals. Through regular roundtables and talks with senior figures in the China academic, policy, and business communities, we provide a chance for engaged individuals to interact and discuss the most pressing issues emerging from China today.
We aim to build a global community, fostering the next generation of China thought leaders.
With almost 5,000 members across Asia, Europe and the U.S., YCW has chapters in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, London, New York, San Francisco, Berlin, Singapore, Brussels, and Washington, D.C.
The YCW New York chapter is looking for help with its inaugural 2020 mentorship program! This is an exciting opportunity to get involved with a volunteer organization that has ten chapters around the world, including Beijing and Shanghai. The person interested in the Mentorship Program Lead position should be passionate about helping the next generation explore careers in China-focused professions.
The volunteer position requires someone who remains fairly flexible and upbeat. The role will mainly be with helping on event coordination and logistics, so someone who has experience in this area (either professionally or informally) would be greatly appreciated! The mentorship program’s first kick-off event takes place at the end of February and lasts through June, with leadership duties extending into July to help with the debrief for next year.
Please note that YCW is a volunteer-based organization and this is an unpaid position.
All YCW leadership team members are non-remunerated volunteers, giving up their time alongside their own professional activity.
Skills and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree is required;
- Experience in a field related to China or knowledge of/experience with living in China desired;
- Exceptional demonstrated leadership ability and enthusiasm for enhancing partnerships with internal stakeholders and external organizations and individuals;
- A deep appreciation of team dynamics;
- Attention to detail, capacity for efficient multi-tasking and focused task orientation;
- Demonstrated planning and organization skills to effectively implement strategic plans and deliver on events;
- Must be available for in-person meetings and events on evenings and weekends mostly taking place in Manhattan; and
- Must be able to respond to YCW communications promptly.
Eligibility and Selection
Please note that preferential candidates will need to have attended or worked at YCW events. Applications from candidates not located in the greater New York area will not be considered.
To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume to [email protected], with the subject and heading: Mentorship Program Lead – YCW.